The Office of Asian Engagement, Trade and Investment is part of the Northern Australia Development and Trade division of the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation.
The office leads the Northern Territory Government’s international engagement, working with foreign governments, the private sector and community organisations to market and advance the Northern Territory’s interests overseas.
Working closely with other government agencies, the office ensures that the Northern Territory’s international engagement efforts are coordinated effectively.
The division contains three branches: International Engagement and Coordination, InvestNT and TradeNT.
International Engagement and Coordination
The International Engagement and Coorindation team coordinates a program of initiatives to strengthen the Northern Territory’s international engagement through strategic political, economic and cultural partnerships with Asian countries and international priority partners.
The InvestNT team markets the Northern Territory as a preferred destination for foreign direct investment, working closely with other NT Government agencies and the private sector on developing investment proposals.
The InvestNT website is the Northern Territory Government’s ‘one-stop-shop’ and central point of contact to welcome new investors to the Northern Territory and help them identify and pursue project opportunities within our private sector and government.
The facilitation services offered by the team include:
- information on the business and regulatory environment such as economic factors, business costs, business and cultural practice, investment regulations, labour and migration
- introductions to business partners and specialist advice in the Northern Territory
- customised visit programs and meeting schedules
- pathways for eligible international investors to access government programs to maximise their investment.
Investment specialists are ready to provide relevant information required to make the right investment decisions.
The TradeNT team promotes the Northern Territory’s international trade interests alongside federal government agencies and its overseas network.
Supporting Northern Territory businesses to win international business
The office’s services for Territory companies seeking to grow their business through exporting or attracting investment include:
- helping companies become export ready
- leading trade missions to priority markets
- introducing foreign companies to Territory capability
- identifying and pursuing new opportunities in overseas markets
- advocating Territory company interests to the Australian Government
- providing financial support for companies to develop export markets
- attracting foreign direct investment
- assisting with business matching, alongside Austrade.
Trade Support Scheme
The scheme aims to build stronger trading partnerships, create new export opportunities, and promote investment in the Territory through InvestNT.
Funding is available to offset up to 50% of costs for activities such as:
- attendance at international expos and trade shows
- development of promotional products
- freight costs
- website development for international audiences
- hosting a prospective international investor in the Territory.