Darwin water theme park
Location: Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Sector: Recreation and tourism
Investment type: Greenfield
Investment amount sought: Variable
Project status: Proposed project - call for expressions of interest
The Northern Territory Government is facilitating the development of a new international standard water theme park in Darwin. The project aims to:
- improve the liveability of Darwin by providing a large scale family attraction and event destination
- add to Darwin’s tourism competitive strengths by providing a significant additional reason to visit and stay longer in the city
- stimulate and support the local economy by attracting major investment, and
- create substantial and enduring employment opportunities.
The Darwin water theme park project represents a unique and exciting opportunity to design, construct, operate and maintain an international standard water theme park in Darwin.
The project could form part of a mixed use development to maximise the experience of visitors, which could include:
- entertainment precincts
- recreational activities
- cultural experiences
- food and retail outlets, and
- further unique and distinctive offerings.
The Northern Territory has a well established reputation as a global tourism destination, with robust demand from the domestic tourism market.
Future growth in visitations to Darwin will be supported by new direct aviation links with China, expanding air services via major hubs of Singapore and China, and the expanding cruise ship sector.
Public and private investment is growing to support Darwin tourism growth in the future through:
- the development of the $200 million luxury Westin Hotel at the Darwin Waterfront
- the Northern Territory Government funding $100 million to revitalise the Darwin CBD.
It’s proximity to Asia and the myriad of natural and outdoor attractions nearby, positions Darwin as a key tourism growth hub in northern Australia.
This will be further supported by the Northern Territory Government’s recently announced $103 million Turbocharging Tourism package that includes:
- $26.57 million for smarter and more targeted tourism marketing including rolling out marketing campaigns with key airlines, targeting niche markets and luring lucrative business events to the Northern Territory
- $56.24 million for new tourism infrastructure and related tourism programs creating more memorable experiences for visitors
- $20.78 million to further enhance festivals, events and other tourism experiences.
The Northern Territory Government is now seeking expressions of interest from suitably qualified parties to build and operate a new international-standard water theme park in the Darwin central business district.
Get the project brochure:
For interested parties to register go to the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation website.
Disclaimer: This web page includes information provided by third parties. The information is general in nature and is for information purposes only. The Northern Territory Government makes no representation about the veracity or accuracy of information provided by third parties. You must rely on your own due diligence before proceeding. You should consider seeking independent professional advice.