Location: Northern Territory, Australia
Investment type: Various
Estimated total project cost: Various
Investment amount sought: Various
Project status: Conceptual
Australia’s Northern Territory is a strategic market for tourism investment, with its long established reputation as a global tourism destination and its geographic location on the doorstep to Asia the fastest growing outbound travel market in the world.
Northern Australia’s economic development is a priority for the Australian Government seeing it as vital to the nation’s economic future, long-term security and regional engagement.
In order to promote private sector participation in the major infrastructure required to develop the north of Australia the Australian Government has announced a AU$5 billion Northern Australia Infrastructure facility.
Strong performing economy
The Northern Territory has been enjoying a period of strong economic growth, outperforming the nation across most economic indicators. The tourism sector has seen significant investment in recent years and the Territory’s superior economic performance has helped to diversify the travel market, particularly in Darwin, which receives robust corporate travel and business events visitation, alongside the traditional leisure market.
The Northern Territory is experiencing solid growth in visitor numbers driven by a strong performing economy. For the 2015-16 financial year:
Open for investment
The Northern Territory provides unlimited opportunity for investors to develop, expand and acquire tourism assets through:
- areas of land available for greenfield development in prime locations in CBD and coastal areas
- opportunities to invest in short-term accommodation, luxury lodges, camping facilities, and resorts
- exceptional natural landscapes and a rich cultural heritage from which to build experiential nature-based accommodation, immersive tourism attractions and experiences, adventure tourism, wildlife tourism and wellness retreats
- opportunities for public-private partnership in transport infrastructure projects including airports, cruise terminals and roads.
Tourism NT is dedicated to supporting local business and investors by providing the following services free of charge:
- research data and market insights (where available) to support the development of your business or project
- introductions to relevant agencies across the Northern Territory Government to aid the approval processes for your project
- access to networks to suit your business requirements
- advice on grants and support programs to assist your business
- coordination of site inspections
- feedback on development proposals high level advice on the strategic direction of tourism in the NT to enable you to align your investment aspirations.
Director Planning and Policy
Department of Tourism and Culture
Phone: +61 8 8999 3939
Download a printable version - Tourism infrastructure (pdf 251 kb)
Disclaimer: This web page includes information provided by third parties. The information is general in nature and is for information purposes only. The Northern Territory Government makes no representation about the veracity or accuracy of information provided by third parties. You must rely on your own due diligence before proceeding. You should consider seeking independent professional advice.